Signs of Electrical Trouble

Electrical wiring is one of the most important upgrades in a home, which should never be delayed. Old, worn out wires can be the cause of trouble leading to frequent house damages and fires. If you're living in a home that is more than 50 years old, you must call in an electrical expert to check the wiring. Sometimes, homeowners see no apparent signs of electrical trouble, which can end up causing damage. 

Homes usually have knob and tube wiring components, which are dated and found in older homes, or aluminum wiring components found in most new homes. But signs such as discolored switches and outlets, a persistent burning smell and blown fuses are a typical cause of concern for most homeowners. Getting help to find any electrical problems can make sure that your home and family are safe before a problem arises. If you're worried about electrical problems, watch out for the following signs of trouble:

  • Loose or improperly working switches. Once you switch a light on, it should light up and not flicker. 

  • Warm outlets or switches. Dimmer switches are generally warm due to the amount of resistance they build but other than that, no switch or outlet should be warm when you press it. 

  • Plugs that are loose can be a fire hazard in the house. 

  • The use of extension cords is also a sign of electrical trouble as it overloads a circuit. Install more outlets in the house for increased use. 

  • Rust on the electrical panel or meter can indicate hidden water leakage.

Electrical problems shouldn’t be taken lightly and on any slight sign of trouble, home maintenance experts should be called in. Although re-wiring is not as necessary but if the wires are very old, some changes in the electrical system can ensure peace of mind.